What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is health insurance that provides affordable coverage to Americans of all backgrounds, including those with low income, elderly adults, pregnant women, children and people who have disabilities. According to Medicaid.gov’s June 2022 Enrollment Report, 82.3 million people are covered by Medicaid in the United States.
Am I eligible for Medicaid in Indiana?
There are several ways you can qualify for Medicaid in Indiana. Depending on the program, eligibility factors can include:
- Family size
- Disability status
- Current health insurance coverage
What are the Medicaid options in Indiana?
Along with Traditional Medicaid, Indiana has several Medicaid programs that individuals can qualify for. These programs include:
- Healthy Indiana Plan (HIP): Available for Indiana residents who are 19-64 years old and who meet specific income requirements. Coverage includes medical costs and can provide vision and dental coverage for some.
- Hoosier Care Connect: Available for Indiana residents who are 65 and older, blind or have a disability and who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Hoosier Healthwise: Available for children up to the age of 19 and pregnant women. Coverage includes medical, behavioral health and dental care.
- Medicare Savings Program (MSP): Available to those with limited income and resources to pay Medicare prescription costs and those who are considered low income.
- Hoosier Rx: Available for Indiana residents who are 65 and over, have a Medicare Part D plan, are considered low income and have applied for “Medicare Extra Help” through Social Security. This program helps pay for Medicare Part D medications.
What is the difference between Medicaid and Medicare?
Medicaid is a medical expense assistance program available to individuals of all ages, while Medicare is only available for adults who are 65 years and older and for certain younger individuals who have a disability.
How do you apply for Medicaid in Indiana?
You need to fill out and submit the Indiana Application for Health Coverage. This can be done online, in person or by phone. Information on each person in your household will need to be included on the Medicaid application. HealthLinc has insurance navigators on staff to help you find coverage and complete your Medicaid or other health insurance application. Services are provided at no cost to anyone that needs assistance. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 888-580-1060 Ext. 4405 or emailing email@example.com
What if you don’t qualify for Medicaid?
If you do not qualify for Medicaid, there are still options available for health insurance coverage. Our insurance navigators can discuss your options and assist you in enrolling in coverage.