Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program
Residency Program Coordinator
We provide new nurse practitioners with enhanced training in a community health center setting that grows their confidence, fosters their mastery of skills and allows them to gain competence in primary care practice.
HealthLinc is committed to leadership, transformation, and innovation in health care. In 2016, HealthLinc launched its Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program to provide intensive training on both the clinical complexity of family practice in the safety net setting and on a high-performance, PCMH model of primary care. HealthLinc has partnered with the Community Health Center, Inc. (CHC) in Middletown, Connecticut, to host and operate their Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program. This residency is designed for new nurse practitioners with a commitment to developing career practices in the challenging setting of the FQHC and/or special populations.
- Embrace Innovation to grow and expand the FNP residency program as it seeks to be a model for FNP primary care practice in the FQHC setting.
- Utilize Collaboration among preceptors, mentors, and specialty providers to align practice requirements within each community to assure the needs of patients are fulfilled.
- Increase Access to quality care by eliminating barriers through expanded training of FNP’s during the residency program.
- Demonstrates Respect in all circumstance by consistently treating all persons with compassion and integrity.
- Achieve Excellence by providing best-in-class, patient care services in all aspects of the FNP residency program.
- Humbly provide Servant Care to all communities through advocacy activities including developing quality improvement projects and engaging in leadership practices that impact care for all patients.
The Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program consists of 12 months of full-time employment at HealthLinc, with a one-year commitment to employment after completion of the program.
Each year, the class size varies depending on the needs of the clinics. This ensures you receive a comprehensive educational experience with close one-on-one instruction.
Full Integration into HealthLinc
- Involvement in quality improvement and practice redesign
- Clinical committees and tasks force participation
- Precepted Continuity Clinics (4 sessions/week) – Develop and manage a panel of new patients
- Specialty Rotations (2 sessions/week x 1 month) in orthopedics, women’s health/prenatal care, adult/child psychiatry, geriatrics, pediatrics, HIV care, Hepatitis C, newborn nursery, dermatology, health care for the homeless
- Mentored Clinics (3 sessions/week) – Sessions with a clinician mentor focused on practice of episodic and acute care
- Didactic Sessions (1 session/week) – Sessions on high volume/risk/burden conditions frequently seen in FQHCs
- Continuous training on HealthLinc’s model of high-performance health system: access, continuity, planned care, team-based, prevention-focused, use of data and technology
- Ongoing multi-input evaluation component using qualitative and quantitative measures
- Training on the quality improvement model, including clinical microsystems and facilitation, as well as leadership development
- U.S. Citizen
- Professional diploma (BSN, MSN)
- Recent graduate (less than 18 months) from an accredited Masters or DNP program
- Licensed (IN APRN) and credentialed (FNP-C) or license/credential-eligible as FNP
- Stated commitment to practice as a primary care provider in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or other safety net settings upon completion of the residency
HealthLinc is preparing for the 2021 Nurse Practitioner Residency Program.
- Please apply for the FNP Residency Program through HealthLinc’s Employment Section of the website by clicking here. Application opens January 1, 2021.
- If qualified, you will be emailed the formal electronic application to complete.
- The deadline to return completed applications is April 1, 2021.
- Those selected are required to complete the credentialing application and MUST ATTEND HealthLinc’s Recruitment Day on Thursday, May 20, 2021.
- CV with 5 years work and education history sections in month and year format
- Copy of driver’s license
- Professional diploma (BSN, MSN)
- 3 signed letters of recommendation
If selected for HealthLinc’s Family Nurse Practitioner Training Program cohort, required documents include:
- Copy of Indiana RN license
- Copy of Indiana APRN license
- Copies of license(s) from any other state
- Indiana controlled substance license
- Federal DEA certificate
- ANCC/AANP certification or evidence of eligibility for certification
For more information about the Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prior to becoming a nurse practitioner, I worked as a registered nurse for over 4 years in both the adult and pediatric inpatient settings. Becoming a nurse practitioner has been my dream, as I would be able to develop lasting relationships and improve the health of my patients and the community. I decided to join HealthLinc’s Nurse Practitioner Residency Program after completing my graduate program at Georgetown University to transition and connect my didactic knowledge with clinical expertise. HealthLinc’s residency provides support and gives us the confidence and tools to become an adept provider in the primary care setting. The residency also gives us the opportunity to take part in specialty rotations and collaborate with all members of the healthcare team. Through the remarkable training program and evidence-based education, I plan to lead the vision of Healthlinc every day and provide my patients with unparalleled care.
I was born in Liberia and grew up in Avon, Indiana. I earned my Bachelor’s in Nursing from Purdue University in West Lafayette. However, there is no place like home! Hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, I am returning home to embark on a new chapter of my life as a primary care provider. While in Atlanta, I completed my Masters in Nursing in the Family Nurse Practitioner Program at Georgia State University. I have six years of experience as a bedside registered nurse at Emory Healthcare and Grady Memorial Hospital. I have extensive experience with adult health in coronary care, medical-surgical, and medical intensive care. While I enjoy working at the hospital, my mission is to help patients achieve their best health status. Upon graduation, I selected to complete a residency program at HealthLinc because I am passionate about quality and efficient health care for disadvantaged populations. A residency program provides additional post-graduate education, clinical support, specialty training, and mentor-ship that focuses on preparing providers to effectively manage the most challenging patient populations. I hope to utilize the expertise of HealthLinc providers and develop a strong foundation as a primary care provider. I am honored to serve the Valparaiso community and continuing the mission to provide quality healthcare as a right and not a privilege. I cannot wait to meet you!
I worked as a registered nurse for five years before starting my career as a family nurse practitioner. After graduate school, I desired to be a part of a residency program to expand the depth of my knowledge in order to better serve and care for patients. HealthLinc’s Nurse Practitioner Residency Program provides unique learning opportunities and experiences to help facilitate the transition from a registered nurse to a primary care provider. The combination of specialty rotations, didactic courses, and built-in preceptors provided through the program, increases my competence and confidence in primary care as an entry-level nurse practitioner. HealthLinc’s encouraging and supportive environment facilitates growth and development as a provider. My ultimate goal as a nurse practitioner resident is to deliver the best care possible for each patient and offer a professional relationship based on compassion and kindness.