In 2016, HealthLinc, headquartered in Valparaiso, Indiana, launched its Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program. The Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program will provide intensive training on both the clinical complexity of family practice in the safety net setting and on a high-performance, PCMH model of primary care. HealthLinc has partnered with the Community Health Center, Inc. (CHC) in Middletown, Connecticut, to host and operate their Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program.
HealthLinc Community Health Centers is committed to leadership, transformation, and innovation in health care. This residency is designed for new nurse practitioners with a commitment to developing career practices in the challenging setting of the FQHC and/or special populations. The Nurse Practitioner Residency in Family Practice and Community Health will:
- Prepare Nurse Practitioners to assume full responsibility for primary care of complex underserved populations across all life cycles and in multiple settings
- Build upon the education and practice base acquired in the educational program leading to certification
- Develop the clinical and operational confidence necessary for efficient, effective and productive practice as a member of the health care team in a FQHC
- Increase the number of Nurse Practitioners choosing to build long-term careers in FQHCs, and their capability for leadership positions within those organizations and within the healthcare system of the future
- Increase access to quality primary care for underserved and special populations by training Family Practice Nurse Practitioners in a FQHC-based residency program that prepares residents for full and autonomous expert care of complex, underserved populations across all life cycles and in multiple settings.
- Provide new Nurse Practitioners (NPs) with a depth, breadth, volume and intensity of clinical training necessary to serve as primary care providers in the complex setting of the country’s FQHCs.
- Train new Nurse Practitioners to a model of primary care consistent with the Institute of Medicine (IOM) principles of health care and the needs of vulnerable populations.
- Improve the clinical skills, confidence, productivity, and job satisfaction of new Nurse Practitioners who choose to work in underserved community settings, as well as contribute to employer satisfaction and workforce retention.
- Increase the number of Nurse Practitioners ready to serve in leadership roles in community health settings.
The Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program consists of 12 months of full-time employment at HealthLinc, with a one-year commitment to employment after completion of the program.
Full Integration into the Organization:
- Involvement in quality improvement and practice redesign
- Clinical committees and tasks force participation
- Precepted Continuity Clinics (4 sessions/week) – Develop and manage a panel of new patients.
- Specialty Rotations (2 sessions/week x 1 month) in orthopedics, women’s health/prenatal care, adult/child psychiatry, geriatrics, pediatrics, HIV care, Hepatitis C, newborn nursery, dermatology, health care for the homeless.
- Mentored Clinics (3 sessions/week) – Sessions with a clinician mentor focused on practice of episodic and acute care.
- Didactic Sessions (1 session/week) – Sessions on high volume/risk/burden conditions frequently seen in FQHCs.
- Continuous training on HealthLinc’s model of high-performance health system: access, continuity, planned care, team-based, prevention focused, use of data and technology.
- Ongoing multi-input evaluation component using qualitative and quantitative measures.
- Training on the quality improvement model, including clinical microsystems and facilitation, as well as leadership development.
- Must be recent graduates (less than 18 months) from an accredited Masters or DNP program.
- Must be licensed (IN APRN) and credentialed (FNP-C) or license/credential-eligible as FNP.
- Must have a stated commitment to practice as a primary care provider in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or other safety net settings upon completion of the residency.
HealthLinc of Valparaiso, Indiana, is pleased to announce
that it is accepting applications for its
Nurse Practitioner Residency Program in Family Practice and Community Health.
Application Steps and Deadlines:
Step #1 – Complete online employment application on HealthLinc’s career site, located at: http://healthlincchc.org/join-our-team.
Step #2 – Once your application has been reviewed and if you meet the qualifications, you will be e-mailed the Family Nurse Practitioner Training Program Application to complete.
Step #3 – The deadline to return completed applications is April 30, 2019.
Step #4 – All applications will be reviewed the week of May 1st to determine those candidates who will be invited to an on-site interview.
Step #5 – All on-site interviews will be held on Thursday, May 16th. Attendance at on-site interviews is required to be considered as a candidate for the Residency Program.
Step #6 – All participating candidates will be notified of their status within two business days of the interview.
Step #7 – Selected candidates for the Nurse Practitioner Residency Program are required to complete a HealthLinc Credentialing Application.
Step #8 – All licensure and credentialing materials (i.e. Board Certification, IN licenses, DEA, controlled substance license) are required to be completed by the start of residency on August 19, 2019.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019-2020 Program Description (Printer Friendly *.PDF)
(requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)